One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A native or inhabitant of ancient Elam.
- ‘The Elamites apparently adopted the sexagesimal system from the Sumerians and only used a decimal notation when counting animals.’
- ‘One could have sworn that all those Parthians, Medes, Mespotamians, Cappadocians, Elamites, Cretans, Arabians, etc, mentioned in the story of the first Pentecost, had descended on Ballina!’
- ‘This new empire lasted until roughly 2000 when pressure from the Elamites and Amorites reached its culmination with the capture and devastation of Ur.’
- ‘The earliest urban peoples in what is today Iranian territory were the Elamites in the extreme southwest region of Khuzestan.’
- ‘The Elamites also began writing quite early in the still-undeciphered Proto-Elamite script.’
2The language of ancient Elam, of unknown affinity and spoken from the 3rd millennium to the 4th century BC.
- ‘This system developed over the succeeding centuries to form Akkadian, Eblaite, Elamite, Hititte, Hurrian, and Old Persian.’
- ‘In 1844, Rawlinson scaled the almost sheer cliffs of Bisitun, in Persia, copying relief sculptures and their accompanying cuneiform inscriptions in Old Persian, Elamite and Babylonian.’
- ‘We know that the Middle East of 5000 years ago was using a variety of unrelated languages, Hurrian, Egyptian, Sumerian, Elamite, Hittite, and Akkadian, where for the last 1000 years there has been nothing but Arabic and Persian.’
Relating to the ancient Elamites or their language.
- ‘The allegory means that Babylonian gods replaced Elamite gods in Susa in the last years of the Assyrian Empire, and it was written at a time when the Macedonians posed the kind of danger to the Jews that the story describes.’
- ‘This culture was related in terms of myth and religion to the Elamite culture of southwestern Iran and to village cultures of Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, and Baluchistan.’
- ‘Elam, whose capital was at Susa, was a part of Sumerian-Mesopotamian cultural region although the Elamite language does not seem to be related to Sumerian.’
- ‘This development reflects the fights that took place when the Iranian peoples from Anatolia immigrated into Elamite and Assyrian territory in the 800s BC.’
- ‘In this story, Mordecai defeats his adversary Haman (Hammon, the creator god in the Elamite pantheon), with Esther's advice and help.’
- ‘The Battle of Ulai, a virtual moving picture carved in stone, shows the drama surrounding the capture and demise of the doomed Teumann, an Elamite king.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.