One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A quilt made by sewing together a piece of fabric, an inner batting, and a lining, the stitches making decorative patterns.
- ‘Six months passed and it was now about the first of December and I finally received a response from an English woman who had a Durham quilt, and was I still interested?’
- ‘The Spanish clothing behemoth, known for its designer copies for a fraction of the price, has branched out into goods for the home and is working its magic in this sector in much the same way - very reasonable Durham quilts, cheap towels, and a shagpile rug for £130.’
- ‘A surface pattern is often created through quilting as in Durham quilts and Greek and Italian quilts.’
- ‘And the Durham quilt wrapped over the headboard is vintage too.’
- ‘The quilts made in this region are known as North Country quilts or (less precisely) as Durham quilts.’
- ‘Her inspiration comes from the traditions of two continents: American Amish quilts and British whole-cloth quilts such as the Durham quilts.’
- ‘It is reported that Jen has one of the finest quilt shops in the British Isles and a superb collection of Welsh and Durham quilts.’
- ‘Maribeth loves quilting by hand or machine and is particularly fond of Welsh and Durham quilts.’
- ‘Strippy quilts typify the regional traditions of the 19th Century North of England, or Durham quilts.’
- ‘But the Durham quilts though popular, were later eclipsed by the Eiderdowns, filled with the soft, warm and light down feathers of the eider duck.’
- ‘The twenties were a successful for the quilting revival, there were exhibitions of Durham quilts in the country's capital and quilters were paid by the square foot for their wears.’
- ‘My great-grandmother hand-stitched Durham quilts in the early 20th century to supplement her husband's miner's wages to bring up their family of 7 living children, and one day I would love to make one… but I'll not hold my breath because it would take me years!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.