One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of a Hellenic people speaking the Doric dialect of Greek, thought to have entered Greece from the north c.1100 BC. They settled in Peloponnesus and later colonized Sicily and southern Italy.
- ‘Next in the town's history, another important event happened during the Mycenean period, when the Dorians tried to invade and take the control over the town.’
- ‘But, around 1100 BCE, the Mycenaeans were invaded by barbarians called Dorians and all their advances disappeared.’
- ‘When Herodotus writes about Ionians, Dorians, Herakleeidai, Akhaians he also mentions myths of origins in relation to genealogies of the eponymous ancestors Helen, Doros, Aiolos, Ion, and Akhaios.’
- ‘Herodotus speaks of Ionians, Dorians, Herakleeidai, and Akhaians among the Greeks, that is, with aggregative self-definitions.’
Relating to the Dorian people or to Doris in central Greece.
- ‘But Pindar and others also assign the foundation of the games to Herakles, as noted above, an attempt, some have suggested, to assert a clearly Dorian claim to the foundation of the games, since Herakles is a Dorian hero.’
Via Latin from Greek Dōrios ‘of Doris’ + -ian.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.