One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of heavy lace-up boot or shoe with an air-cushioned sole.
gumboot, wellington, wader, walking boot, riding boot, field boot, jackboot, thigh boot, half-boot, ankle boot, pixie boot, chelsea boot, balmoral, desert boot, moon boot, snow bootView synonyms
- ‘This means that it's time to get rid of your desert boots and Doc Martens.’
- ‘I tie on my black Doc Martens boots and head for the door.’
- ‘She was still in her boots, brown Doc Martens that she bought on sale at the flea market just last week, when her life wasn't so dramatic.’
- ‘I still own and wear every pair of Doc Martens shoes I've ever had - my first pair, from 1994, remains in good shape.’
- ‘I have a tan pair of Doc Martens shoes that look really good with white pants.’
1970s: named after Klaus Maertens, German inventor of the sole.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.