One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to Devon.
- ‘Tucked away in Devonian hills as green as the heart of a lettuce is Dartington Hall, home of Dartington international summer school.’
- ‘Coming up in the world: The old Devonian seadog William Burroughs, second in command to Cadiz in 1587 and a ship's commander against the Armada the following year.’
- ‘Of course, being Mr BW, the first thing he did on returning from our Devonian exploits last night was to wander round the garden.’
- ‘I still had the handful of yoghurt from the photo shoot and even though the yoghurt had curdled, this congealed dairy product was a feast to these backward Devonian fooles!’
Relating to or denoting the fourth period of the Paleozoic era, between the Silurian and Carboniferous periods.
- ‘Silurian and lower Devonian sedimentary successions are uncommon within the remnants of Gondwana.’
- ‘Athyrids were most abundant during the Silurian and Devonian periods, but still remained common during the early Carboniferous, and even as late as the Permian.’
- ‘In a general article on reef succession, Copper noted the role of stromatoporoids in the climax phase of Silurian and Devonian reefs.’
- ‘This complex was later involved in the collision of Siberia and Baltica and was the source of a substantial amount of intermediate to felsic volcanism during Ordovician through Devonian time.’
- ‘Some 360 million years ago, at the end of the Devonian era, an evolutionary experiment was underway.’
- ‘Baltica collided with Avalonia and they subsequently collided with Laurentia to complete the Laurussian continent during Silurian and earliest Devonian times.’
- ‘The normal fault that currently separates the Silurian basement south of Eyemouth from Devonian and Carboniferous rocks to the north may well correspond to and reactivate this tract-bounding structure.’
- ‘The significance of these other Silurian to early Devonian dates remains uncertain but large-scale lithospheric extension is the most likely cause.’
- ‘The upper boundary of the Centroiberica zone is not conformable with younger strata and Silurian and Devonian strata may be absent.’
- ‘It is composed of a number of imbricate thrust units involving Ordovician to Devonian sediments, volcanic rocks and ophiolites.’
- ‘For example, the various Lower Palaeozoic and Devonian formations on the stable interior platform of North America have presented many problems of correlation largely because the different facies are diachronous.’
- ‘The Early Triassic rifting episode followed the older Devonian and Carboniferous structural grains.’
- ‘Although there are no outcrops of Devonian extrusive volcanic rocks in NW Scotland, they can be found in southern and central Scotland and the Orkney Islands.’
- ‘The bedrock ranges in age from Precambrian to Mississippian, but Cambrian, Ordovician, and Devonian rocks predominate.’
- ‘These can be found by the thousand in suitable Silurian and Devonian exposures; and they are the most common vertebrate microfossil in most Silurian sediments.’
- ‘So far, only few biostratigraphically well-constrained isotopic ages constitute the geochronological framework of the Devonian period.’
- ‘In the mangrove forests of the Andamans we have seen goggle-eyed mud skippers pull themselves out of the water, as the Devonian amphibians did, and sun their glistening bodies on the stilt roots of the wetland trees.’
- ‘The plate tectonic model of Loeschke et al. invokes crustal rifting during the Ordovician and formation of a Silurian to Devonian ocean that underwent closure during the Devonian-Carboniferous.’
- ‘Variably serpentinized Devonian mafic and ultramafic intrusive rocks occur in the western and northern parts of the map area.’
- ‘Observations on the Silurian and Devonian systems of the United States, with descriptions of new organic remains.’
1A native or inhabitant of Devon.
- ‘The Devonians play their biggest Scottish show to date.’
- ‘The likeable Devonian, remember, had already made headlines of his own after a confrontation with abrasive Australian Quinten Hann at the end of his first-round win.’
- ‘The impact of scientific rather than practical proposals has produced a fairly unworkable cocktail of measures which Devonians are calling a ‘complete shambles’.’
- ‘They performed with gusto to almost thirty drunk Devonians.’
The Devonian period or the system of rocks deposited during it.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.