Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The alphabet used for Sanskrit, Hindi, and other Indian languages.
- ‘Tandon was Vice-President of the All India Hindi Literature Conference, which held that Hindi with the Devanagari script alone should be the national language.’
- ‘The Urdu community always comes under strong pressure to change its script and to begin writing its language in the Devanagari script.’
- ‘It is written in a modified form of the Devanagari script, and its literary tradition dates from medieval times.’
- ‘Instead, Pali has relied heavily on oral transmission and has traditionally been transcribed in Devanagari, Singhalese, Thai, and Roman scripts (Pali Text Society).’
- ‘I have nurtured my life's long devotion to Buddhism by learning Sanskrit, not at a University but instead by studying the holy texts of Hinduism and Advaita Vedanta in the original Devanagari script.’
- ‘It conforms to a modified version of the Persian script and is therefore written from right to left, whereas Hindi, which utilizes Devanagari script, is written from left to right.’
- ‘The inscription in Devanagari reads: ‘On December the 13 th, 1947, here was cremated the body of Maharishi Roerich’.’
- ‘The Gupta numerals evolved into the Nagari numerals, sometimes called the Devanagari numerals.’
- ‘Local variations to the Brahmi script led to the practice of joining of letters and words together with a line on the top of the letters, like that of today's Hindi script, and came to be known as Devanagari script (script of the City of Gods).’
- ‘Mandrake Linux includes Bengali, Gujarati, Gurmukhi, Hindi Devanagari and Tamil out of the box.’
- ‘Newari, a Tibeto-Burman language written in the Devanagari script, is spoken in the Kathmandu Valley.’
- ‘Raju says his work consumes considerable time as each one of them is done with strokes of Devanagari script.’
- ‘We know that they were acquainted with alphabetic writing in the form of the Devanagari alphabet in which the Sanskrit of the Buddhist scriptures was written and in the form of the Phags-Pa alphabet.’
- ‘As mentioned earlier, from Hindustani have emerged two literary languages, Hindi in Devanagari script with literary and vocabulary borrowings from Sanskrit and Urdu in modified Arabic script with borrowings from Persian.’
- ‘Richard Ishida provides an excellent introduction to Indic scripts, specifically Bengali, Devanagari, Gujarati, Gurmukhi, Kannada, Malayalam, Oriya, Tamil, and Telugu.’
- ‘Marathi is written in a type of script known as Devanagari, or a cursive form of Devanagari called Modi.’
- ‘It was first published in Devanagari, and later the government had it printed in the Persio-Arabic script.’
Late 18th century: Sanskrit, literally divine town script from deva god + nāgarī (from nagara town), an earlier name of the script.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.