The spiritual head of Tibetan Buddhism and, until the establishment of Chinese communist rule, the spiritual and temporal ruler of Tibet.
- ‘During his visit to the U.S., the Dalai Lama met with the President.’
- ‘The event, which will honour the Dalai Lama, Shirin Ebadi, Vaclav Havel, and Desmond Tutu, will take place at Vancouver's Christ Church Cathedral on April 20.’
- ‘On its part, the western world was in so deep a spiritual quagmire that only a Dalai Lama could help it.’
- ‘The Dalai Lama and a group of scientists set out to debate and answer this issue some time back.’
- ‘Twenty years ago the Dalai Lama designated land here for the education of local children.’
From Tibetan, literally ‘ocean monk’, so named because he is regarded as ‘the ocean of compassion’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.