The spiritual head of Tibetan Buddhism and, until the establishment of Chinese communist rule, the spiritual and temporal ruler of Tibet.
- ‘The Dalai Lama and a group of scientists set out to debate and answer this issue some time back.’
- ‘On its part, the western world was in so deep a spiritual quagmire that only a Dalai Lama could help it.’
- ‘The event, which will honour the Dalai Lama, Shirin Ebadi, Vaclav Havel, and Desmond Tutu, will take place at Vancouver's Christ Church Cathedral on April 20.’
- ‘Twenty years ago the Dalai Lama designated land here for the education of local children.’
- ‘During his visit to the U.S., the Dalai Lama met with the President.’
Late 17th century: from Tibetan, literally ocean guru so named because he is regarded as “the ocean of compassion” (see lama).