Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A synthetic organic compound used as an insecticide. Like other chlorinated aromatic hydrocarbons, DDT tends to persist in the environment and become concentrated in animals at the head of the food chain. Its use is now banned in many countries.
- ‘Since DDT was reintroduced in South Africa in April 2000, the number of mosquitoes is down.’
- ‘Farmers used DDT to protect cash crops like cotton, corn, and apples from a wide variety of agricultural pests.’
- ‘DDT was applied widely as an insecticide in North America until it was banned in 1972.’
- ‘After the war, DDT came into use for commercial and public health purposes.’
- ‘The insecticide DDT has long been a prime target of anti-chemical and anti-pesticide campaigners.’
- ‘Many ecologists blamed the usual suspects for the bird losses: DDT, defoliants, avian malaria, suburban blight.’
- ‘After the Second World War, Europe and North America used DDT to eradicate malaria.’
- ‘In a long-term joint effort, city and state biologists are identifying, monitoring and studying the falcons, which nearly faced extinction in the 1960s from the pesticide DDT.’
- ‘The book had a powerful influence, and governments throughout the world banned DDT and other pesticides.’
- ‘The bald eagle population on the islands was eliminated by DDT poisoning in the early 1960s.’
- ‘The arrival of the insecticide DDT, which was effective against malaria-carrying mosquitoes and typhus-bearing lice, seemed to be a miracle.’
- ‘A major chemical industry sprang up after the discovery of the potent insecticidal properties of DDT.’
1940s: abbreviation of dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane.
DDT/ˌdē ˌdē ˈtē/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.