Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A chronic inflammatory disease of the intestines, especially the colon and ileum, associated with ulcers and fistulae.
- ‘Stress appears to play a role in the exacerbation of Crohn's disease.’
- ‘If your doctor thinks you may have Crohn's disease, he or she will ask you about your symptoms and do a complete exam to look for signs of the illness.’
- ‘Stomas are commonly necessary in sufferers of inflammatory bowel disease, including Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.’
- ‘The risk of colorectal cancer in patients with Crohn's disease is lower than in patients with ulcerative colitis.’
- ‘His major interest is in what's called Inflammatory Bowel Disease, that's Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.’
- ‘This agent may prove to be useful in the treatment of gynecologic fistulas in Crohn's disease.’
- ‘Ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease are the two most common forms of inflammatory bowel disease.’
- ‘He's had flare-ups of Crohn's disease, a serious inflammation of the intestines that causes pain and diarrhea.’
- ‘The term, inflammatory bowel disease, refers to two conditions called ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease.’
- ‘The association occurs more often in patients with Crohn's disease than in those with ulcerative colitis.’
- ‘Histopathology confirmed the diagnosis of Crohn's disease.’
- ‘Unlike Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis does not involve the small intestine.’
- ‘We're looking at multiple sclerosis, juvenile onset diabetes and Crohn's disease.’
- ‘There's no known medical cure for either ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease.’
- ‘At the other end, pregnancy results in a welcome break from psoriasis or the distressing symptoms of Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis.’
- ‘The other main inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn's disease, can affect any part of the digestive tract from the mouth to the anus.’
- ‘The ongoing symptoms of Crohn's disease, such as diarrhoea, can lead to weight loss.’
- ‘Two kinds of inflammatory bowel disease are Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.’
- ‘The most common symptoms of both ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease are diarrhea and abdominal pain.’
- ‘What is an appropriate diet for a person with mild Crohn's disease?’
1930s: named after Burrill B. Crohn (1884–1983), American pathologist, who was among the first to describe it.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.