Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of enteroviruses that cause various respiratory, neurological, and muscular diseases in humans.
- ‘Other virus infections have also been implicated such as the Coxsackie virus, the Epstein-Barr virus, and others.’
- ‘The virus implicated is thought to be a Coxsackie virus, which belongs to the family of enteroviruses.’
- ‘Hand, foot and mouth disease is a viral infection caused by a strain of Coxsackie virus.’
- ‘The medical student learned about hand, foot and mouth disease, which is a benign illness caused by Coxsackie virus.’
- ‘In 1995 I was diagnosed with a Coxsackie virus which had apparently settled into my heart.’
1940s: named after Coxsackie, New York, where the first cases were diagnosed.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.