One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of a pair of small glands which open into the urethra at the base of the penis and secrete a constituent of seminal fluid.
- ‘I have suffered from discomfort and pain in the area of the Cowper's glands for around eight years now.’
- ‘The paired Cowper's glands lie below the prostate on either side of the urethra.’
- ‘Sexual arousal can cause fluid from the Cowper's glands to be released prior to ejaculation.’
- ‘The Cowper's glands secrete a small amount of pre-ejaculate fluid prior to orgasm.’
- ‘My son has just been diagnosed with a cyst on one of his Cowper's glands.’
Mid 18th century: named after William Cowper (1666–1709), English anatomist.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.