Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The theory that the sun is the center of the solar system, with the planets (including the earth) orbiting around it.Compare with Ptolemaic system
- ‘Making the orbits elliptical made the Copernican system more accurate.’
- ‘Suppose I decide that I believe the Ptolemaic system is more plausible than the Copernican system.’
- ‘We are in the position of medieval astronomers who fear that if the Copernican theory of the solar system is true, ‘the earth’ as we have conceived it does not exist.’
- ‘He also became an advocate of the controversial Copernican theory of the solar system, which he often defended in public debates.’
- ‘But also for the first time in print he came out clearly in favour of the Copernican system with the sun at the centre.’
Mid 17th century: named after Copernicus(see Copernicus, Nicolaus).
Copernican system/kəˈpərnikən ˌsistəm/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.