Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A form of Judaism, particularly prevalent in North America, that seeks to preserve Jewish tradition and ritual but has a more flexible approach to the interpretation of the law than Orthodox Judaism.
- ‘If the German Zacharias Frankel was the ideological father of Conservative Judaism, Solomon Schechter, at the Jewish Theological Seminary of America, forged the movement.’
- ‘Having been raised in a Conservative Judaism where God and soul were never mentioned, I approached the spiritual world like an awestruck tourist whose guide had led her to a fantastical domain never mentioned in the standard guidebooks.’
- ‘My views are most consistent not with radical reform or atheism, but Conservative Judaism.’
- ‘Another segment of American Judaism is Reconstructionist Judaism, which is sometimes lumped together with Reform and Conservative Judaism as Progressive Judaism.’
- ‘On one side stands Orthodoxy, in its various manifestations, and Conservative Judaism, which, at least in theory, subscribes to the (more or less) complete observance of the mitzvot.’
- ‘When he brought out a second edition of Conservative Judaism in 1972, he declared that the laws of religious sociology had seemingly been repealed.’
- ‘Didn't Conservative Judaism also talk about the development of the law and how it both changed and had to change in order to remain a vital cultural force?’
- ‘Just as Conservative Judaism was surprised by the refusal of the Modern Orthodox to roll over and die, so has Modern Orthodoxy been shocked by the resurgence of an Orthodoxy which disdains higher education and western culture.’
- ‘The woman, lay president of the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, broached the subject to the Committee on Jewish Law and Standards of the Rabbinical Assembly, which will consider it in March.’
- ‘The crux of the Yarmeisches' argument was that by defining what's kosher according to ‘orthodox Hebrew religious requirements,’ the state was favoring Orthodox over Conservative Judaism.’
- ‘Between these emerged Conservative Judaism, whose ‘positive historicism’ aimed to harmonize Jewish tradition with modern knowledge.’
- ‘Reflecting ‘the latest findings in archaeology,’ a new commentary on the Torah (the first five books of the Old Testament) was released last fall by the US-based United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.