A large yellow dessert pear.
- ‘The Comice is a purely dessert pear - in season from late autumn to midwinter.’
- ‘4 large just ripe (but not too soft) pears - eg, Williams, Comice or Conference’
- ‘The Anjou (October to June), the Comice (September to March), and the tiny Forelle (September to February) are better appreciated fresh.’
- ‘Comice is considered by some to be the best dessert pear.’
- ‘France is the home of the best pear variety, the Comice.’
Mid 19th century: from French, literally ‘association, cooperative’, referring to the Comice Horticole of Angers, France, where this variety was developed.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.