Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A phylum of aquatic invertebrate animals that comprises the coelenterates.
- ‘Despite these attempts, relationships among Bilateria, Cnidaria, Ctenophora, Placozoa, and Porifera remain obscure.’
- ‘In any case, there is molecular evidence to suggest that the Anthozoa are the earliest branch of the phylum Cnidaria.’
- ‘Jellyfish belong to one of the oldest extant animal phyla, the Cnidaria.’
- ‘Members of the phylum Cnidaria, these animals have capsule-shaped cells with a trapdoor-like lid, containing a stinging nematocyst.’
- ‘By this usage, the basal metazoans comprise just four phyla (Placozoa, Porifera, Cnidaria, and Ctenophora) and the large clade Bilateria.’
- ‘Four phyla (Placozoa, Porifera, Cnidaria, and Ctenophora) are typically thought to have an ancient origin within Metazoa.’
- ‘The phylum Cnidaria comprises approximately 10,000 species of tentacle bearing aquatic animals.’
- ‘Sea anemones (Phylum Cnidaria; Class Anthozoa, Order Actiniaria) exhibit a diversity of developmental patterns that include cloning by fission.’
- ‘The Cnidaria and Ctenophora are grouped together by some workers as the Coelenterata.’
- ‘Actually, there are a number of topologically reasonable ways to create an inner compartment, and most can be found within the embryological diversity of the Cnidaria and Ctenophora.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek knidē nettle.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.