One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- former term for Testudines
- ‘If reincarnated, I will never come back as a marine turtle - certainly not one of the edible varieties, the green turtle Chelonia mydas, for example.’
- ‘More pages on Chelonia are planned for the near future.’
- ‘The Norian age was remarkable for the appearance of the Chelonia which seem to have emerged out of nowhere.’
- ‘Six extinct genera, as well as the extant genera Caretta and Chelonia, date from the Upper Cretaceous of Europe and North America.’
- ‘This suggests that turtles, all now classified in the reptile order Chelonia, were originally created in at least two separate basic kinds.’
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek khelōnē ‘tortoise’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.