Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A Canadian (sometimes derogatory in US use)‘as a true Canuck, Hayden loves pizza’
- ‘Us Canucks run a huge trade surplus and the dollar is weak.’
- ‘Her theory of the Canadian identity hinges on that stereotype of the nice, law-abiding Canuck.’
- ‘However, we Canucks are by nature so laid-back, how can it hurt for the music industry to get together and pat each other on the back?’
- ‘He introduced his three associates, likewise Canucks, all from Vancouver.’
- ‘It's comforting to know some of our neighbours are as self-doubting and dissident as us Canucks.’
- ‘Roots artist Kathleen Edwards was the only other Canuck besides Canadian-born Young on the bill this year.’
- ‘Though Canucks, Heighton's heroes are filters for Western (read American) values and bias.’
- ‘The actors featured in the series are a mixture of Canucks and Aussies.’
- ‘Ninety-four per cent of Canucks believe that the world has a positive view of Canada.’
- 1.1dated A French Canadian.
Canadian.‘an impressive lineup of Canuck screen veterans’
- ‘This show is an incredibly funny, dead-on skewering of Canuck culture that is still beloved by Canadian fans as the finest episode the troupe ever did.’
- ‘If you want a fun flick with a lot of laughs and a killer Canuck soundtrack, you will not be disappointed.’
- ‘I noticed there weren't very many Canuck flags flying around town today.’
- ‘Visions of mukluks and plaid flannel flood the mind when asked to describe Canuck chic.’
- ‘This year from noon until 6 p.m., the City of Calgary will once again host a party to celebrate all things Canuck.’
- ‘As Canuck as they've become though, they also had their other home in mind.’
- ‘Sharing a uniquely dry Canuck humour, Young and Mitchell had an easy rapport.’
- ‘The government offered funding assistance and tax incentives to films made in Canada and fulfilling specific Canuck criteria.’
- ‘With 26 Canadian feature films, Canuck flicks account for well over 10 per cent of the program, including a spotlight on mainstream Quebec cinema.’
- ‘We Canuck film critics are often accused of being too easy on local films.’
Mid 19th century: apparently from Canada.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.