One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A roll of sushi with a filling containing avocado, cucumber, and crabmeat.‘where does one begin when choosing a sake to match their fresh California roll?’
- ‘A California roll topped with ultra-tender eel, called the dragon ($14), snaked across the plate in chunks, its head sprouting tiny horns made of carrot tips.’
- ‘I was very happy with the $12.95 combo, with its six faultless pieces of nigiri sushi and one revelation - a seaweed-wrapped California roll made with avocado, cucumber and real king crab.’
- ‘The second round of items that came to the table - California rolls and yuzi sushi - seemed an afterthought and tasted like one, too.’
- ‘For the California roll, get some dried seaweed sheets, sesame seeds, medium grain sushi rice, an avocado, a cucumber, thin leg style imitation crab and some rice vinegar.’
- ‘The California rolls use actual crab, not sea stick.’
- ‘You'll see all the sushi bar classics: ebi (shrimp), maguro (tuna), ikura (salmon roe), and California roll with a smattering of bright orange tobiko (flying fish roe).’
- ‘The salmon was perfectly glazed, and the accompaniments - fried shumai, California rolls, and even the miso soup - were exceptional.’
- ‘We were planning to make sushi (California rolls) tonight along with a Japanese noodle dish that my friend Amanda taught me to make.’
- ‘He returned to our table a short time later carrying a full tray of sushi, including tuna, shrimp, California rolls, and one of the best spicy tuna rolls I've ever had.’
- ‘You won't find mayonnaise in any sushi bar in Tokyo, but the American-Japanese concoction they call a California roll went down a storm, and the thinly sliced scallops were outstanding.’
- ‘The bento box dinner - which includes salmon, fried shumai, California roll, white rice, and an appetizer of the diner's choice - is a highlight.’
- ‘I ordered for him - just some basic tuna and salmon and California rolls - and showed him how to use his chopsticks and what to do with the wasabi and pickled ginger.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.