Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Cost-of-living adjustment, an increase made to wages or Social Security benefits to keep them in line with inflation.
1A brown carbonated drink that is flavored with an extract of cola nuts, or with a similar flavoring.
- ‘What's more, tea, cola, and energy drinks contain caffeine.’
- ‘There it is marketed as a party-style drink for twenty-somethings, and 90% of the spirit is drunk with cola added.’
- ‘Brain scans showed that certain bits of the brain lit up when people didn't know what cola they were drinking, but other bits lit up when they did.’
- ‘If it were just a matter of which cola to drink, it would not be of much concern, but media corporations control content.’
- ‘Manson sits in the dark with the air conditioning blasting, drinking cola and wearing sunglasses.’
- ‘Irn-Bru, along with diet cola, contains artificial flavouring, sweeteners - and caffeine.’
- ‘Caffeine containing foods commonly consumed are coffee, tea, cola drinks and chocolate.’
- ‘An athlete might use foods containing caffeine to increase energy levels, for example, coffee, chocolate and cola drinks.’
- ‘Avoid stimulants like coffee, tea, cola, soft drinks, and chocolate.’
- ‘You can do this by avoiding long periods of time in the sun, drinking plenty of salty fluids, and avoiding alcohol and drinks containing caffeine such as tea, coffee and cola.’
- ‘A customer took her into his caravan as they tried to call police, then Donaldson walked in casually drinking a can of cola.’
- ‘She had already drunk some wine before she went out and was then drinking Bacardi and cola.’
- ‘Never mind fancy energy drinks or cool cola, an East Lancashire company is reviving some old favourites to tantalise our tastebuds.’
- ‘The most common mixers are orange, grapefruit, and cranberry juices; club soda; tonic water; cola and ginger ale.’
- ‘Reduce the number of cups of coffee, tea or cola drinks you drink, especially later on in the day.’
- ‘We take a hard line with soft drinks - and cola is the worst offender.’
- ‘However, compared to diet cola or sugar-charged tonic or lemonade, soda water wins by a mile.’
- ‘Vanilla, too, pairs naturally well with mixers that have vanilla tones of their own, including cream soda and cola.’
- ‘Avoid caffeine-packed coffee, tea and cola late at night.’
- ‘The ad is so fun, fast and sexy that I'm a Pepsi convert and I don't even drink cola except now and then with rum.’
2A small evergreen African tree that is cultivated in the tropics for its seeds (cola nuts)
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.