One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A brown carbonated drink that is flavored with an extract of cola nuts, or with a similar flavoring.
- ‘There it is marketed as a party-style drink for twenty-somethings, and 90% of the spirit is drunk with cola added.’
- ‘Avoid caffeine-packed coffee, tea and cola late at night.’
- ‘Irn-Bru, along with diet cola, contains artificial flavouring, sweeteners - and caffeine.’
- ‘However, compared to diet cola or sugar-charged tonic or lemonade, soda water wins by a mile.’
- ‘Vanilla, too, pairs naturally well with mixers that have vanilla tones of their own, including cream soda and cola.’
- ‘We take a hard line with soft drinks - and cola is the worst offender.’
- ‘If it were just a matter of which cola to drink, it would not be of much concern, but media corporations control content.’
- ‘You can do this by avoiding long periods of time in the sun, drinking plenty of salty fluids, and avoiding alcohol and drinks containing caffeine such as tea, coffee and cola.’
- ‘She had already drunk some wine before she went out and was then drinking Bacardi and cola.’
- ‘The ad is so fun, fast and sexy that I'm a Pepsi convert and I don't even drink cola except now and then with rum.’
- ‘Never mind fancy energy drinks or cool cola, an East Lancashire company is reviving some old favourites to tantalise our tastebuds.’
- ‘What's more, tea, cola, and energy drinks contain caffeine.’
- ‘Reduce the number of cups of coffee, tea or cola drinks you drink, especially later on in the day.’
- ‘Caffeine containing foods commonly consumed are coffee, tea, cola drinks and chocolate.’
- ‘Avoid stimulants like coffee, tea, cola, soft drinks, and chocolate.’
- ‘An athlete might use foods containing caffeine to increase energy levels, for example, coffee, chocolate and cola drinks.’
- ‘The most common mixers are orange, grapefruit, and cranberry juices; club soda; tonic water; cola and ginger ale.’
- ‘Brain scans showed that certain bits of the brain lit up when people didn't know what cola they were drinking, but other bits lit up when they did.’
- ‘A customer took her into his caravan as they tried to call police, then Donaldson walked in casually drinking a can of cola.’
- ‘Manson sits in the dark with the air conditioning blasting, drinking cola and wearing sunglasses.’
2A small evergreen African tree which is cultivated in the tropics for its seeds (cola nuts).
Genus Cola, family Sterculiaceae: several species, in particular C. acuminata
Cost-of-living adjustment, an increase made to wages or Social Security benefits to keep them in line with inflation.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.