Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device for producing a compact disc by copying from an original or master copy.
- ‘I've brought my CD burner in and I'm copying Dreamcast games’
- ‘I made my first CD in 2000 after purchasing a CD burner - I use it in analogue recording style. I first work 2 then 3 cassette decks into a mixer and into the CD burner.’
- ‘When I bought a car with a CD player in it, and then followed that up with a computer with a CD burner, it totally changed the way I listen to music.’
- ‘Gen put something new on his machine, and maybe his CD burner is working now.’
- ‘The easiest method is to download the CD image, burn a copy with a CD burner and boot the new Koha server from the CD.’
- ‘I even felt competent when I installed a CD burner.’
- ‘It is estimated that over 3 million Canadians have used a CD burner to copy music.’
- ‘Just two years ago, only 13 percent copied it onto a portable device or a CD burner.’
- ‘I just got a CD burner, so I can participate in the next Burn-It!’
- ‘Now we're back with a new scanner and a new CD burner, so there may be a more multimedia feel to what comes out of West Odd Productions in the next few months.’
- ‘It's true, I also have a CD burner, blank CDs, music and a car.’
- ‘No more excuses for not having a burned copy of important files and directories because the CD burner is on a remote system, and it's inconvenient transferring the files.’
- ‘The other day I finally replaced my 4 year old, badly broken and dead CD burner with a new model.’
- ‘The MP3, combined with a CD burner or MP3 player, allows them to bypass what the industry is shoving down their throat and allows them to make their own choices about the music they listen to.’
- ‘Add a few cents to the cost of every blank disk, throw in a few dollars for every CD burner, and suddenly you have $1 billion or so to pay to artists, writers, and publishers in the exact proportions specified by the Napster servers.’
- ‘‘A lot of people think there's something unethical about their CD burner, and that's just not true,’ says Gateway spokesman Brad Williams.’
- ‘To play back the commentary, you'll either need a portable mp3 player, a computer with mp3 playback that you can listen to while you watch the film or a CD burner and player.’
- ‘A CD burner transfers the MP3 audio files to a standard compact disc, but these start at around $400, too costly for most teens.’
- ‘You sure know how to make a girl wish she had a CD burner!’
- ‘If your computer lacks a CD burner but has a USB or a FireWire port, you can add an external CD burner to your computer.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.