Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Charge-coupled device, a high-speed semiconductor used chiefly in image detection.
- ‘Since George Smith and Williard Boyle developed the first charge-coupled device at Bell Labs in 1969, futurists and scientists have imagined an infinite number of uses for electronic imaging.’
- ‘One award goes to the Waterhouse Lane imaging group which uses charge-coupled devices to reduce the need for dental X-rays.’
- ‘All images were captured digitally using a SenSys charge-coupled device camera (Roper Scientific, Tucson, AZ) attached to an Olympus BX60 epifluorescence microscope.’
- ‘Two-dimensional diffraction patterns were recorded using a high-sensitivity charge-coupled device detector.’
- ‘Microscopes have even entered the digital age, using charge-coupled devices and digital cameras to capture images.’
2Confraternity of Christian Doctrine.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.