One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fluid-filled sac or saclike cavity, especially one countering friction at a joint.
space, chamber, hollow, hole, pocket, pouchView synonyms
- ‘The olecranon bursa may also be the site of infection, frequently caused by Staphylococcus aureus.’
- ‘I had a pinched nerve in my back and a bursa on my Achilles tendon.’
- ‘Another slip may attach to the synovial bursa forming a tensor bursae mucosae tendinum.’
- ‘Proximally, the bursa is bordered by a synovial lining that separates the bursa from the proximal fat pad.’
- ‘When a patient complains of joint pain, the first step is to determine whether the source of the pain is the joint or a periarticular soft tissue structure such as a bursa or tendon.’
- ‘The trochanteric bursa is located over the lateral prominence of the greater trochanter of the femur.’
- ‘Other locations include the ulnar aspects of the forearm, olecranon, and prepatellar bursae, Achilles tendons, and hands.’
- ‘The psoas bursa communicates with the hip joint in the adult in approximately 20% of the population.’
- ‘The trochanteric bursa of the gluteus maximus muscle can be seen.’
- ‘Occasionally, an olecranon bursa must be opened surgically.’
- ‘Lateral to the inferior medial border of the scapula is a bursa that can become inflamed.’
- ‘In particular, palpation can identify tenderness over the sites of muscle attachment to bone and the bursae.’
- ‘It may be possible to palpate the retrocalcaneal bursa and a bursa between the tendon and the skin.’
- ‘Aspiration and injection are performed by placing the needle directly into the fluid-filled bursa from the side.’
- ‘Direct trauma or repeated friction over the bursa can lead to inflammation.’
- ‘Possibly, the tendons, as well as tendon sheaths and surrounding bursae, will respond to overuse with inflammation and consequent swelling.’
- ‘The suprapatellar bursa, which is continuous with the articular cavity (knee Joint), is seen.’
- ‘In an occasional case, one may be able to aspirate bursal fluid from the bursa itself before injection of corticosteroid.’
- ‘More importantly, however, is the fluid in the suprapatelar bursa which suggests the patient has joint involvement as well.’
- ‘Common sites for bursitis include the pre-patellar bursa, the olecranon bursa, and the subacromial bursa.’
Early 19th century: from medieval Latin, ‘bag, purse’, from Greek bursa ‘leather’.
A city in northwestern Turkey; population 1,431,200 (est. 2007). It was the capital of the Ottoman Empire 1326–1402.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.