Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A native or inhabitant of the Balkan country Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- ‘Danis Tanovic, a Bosnian, wrote and directed the film.’
- ‘During the conflict in Bosnia in the mid-1990s, NATO deployed 60,000 troops, equivalent to one soldier for every 66 Bosnians.’
- ‘Sokolov tried a slightly different line than the one he played against Short, but once again the Bosnian drew a blank.’
- ‘It is no surprise because Bosnia-Herzegovina is a patchwork of Christian and Muslim, Croat, Serb, and Bosnian, Orthodox and Catholic.’
2The Slavic language of the Bosnians.
- ‘Croatian, Serbian, and Bosnian are virtually identical; the distinction among them is a matter of identity politics.’
- ‘Bates speaks Bosnian, English and a little German and Russian.’
- ‘Almost 95 percent of the population speaks Bosnian.’
- ‘The company now posts all safety signs in English and Bosnian.’
Relating to Bosnia and Herzegovina, its people, or their language.
- ‘Hamburg went behind to an Otto Addo goal after half an hour, but went 2 - 1 ahead with goals either side of half-time from Bosnian midfielder Sergej Barbarez.’
- ‘During the Bosnian MPs' visit on Tuesday the opening of a diplomatic mission of Bosnia and Herzegovina in Bulgaria was discussed, as well as easing the visa issuing procedures for Bulgarian citizens.’
- ‘That day a large group of village people gathered around a long picnic table eating barbecued lamb and singing Bosnian folk songs helped along by a drink not unlike poteen.’
- ‘The series of films has been put together by some of the leading names in world cinema, including Britain's Ken Loach, Hollywood actor/director Sean Penn and Bosnian film-maker Danis Tanovic.’
- ‘In 1998, I became a Bosnian citizen.’
- ‘Their mission is to survey an area of forest on the Bosnian border.’
- ‘The villagers were interested to hear the CD that had raised so much money and had such an impact on their lives and it wasn't long before an impromptu session of Bosnian and Irish folk music was under way.’
- ‘Set during the Bosnian War, the film follows three soldiers - two Bosnian and one Serb - trapped together in a trench dug between enemy lines.’
- ‘He has assured Hearts that one positive aspect of the trip will be the hospitality of the Bosnian people.’
- ‘He emigrated to the United States and now holds both US and Bosnian passports.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.