Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A chocolate sponge cake with layers of morello cherries or cherry jam and whipped cream and topped with chocolate icing.
- ‘Alicia ordered a pot of tea and a slice of Black Forest cake.’
- ‘A refrigerated cabinet in one corner holds desserts, with items like Black Forest cakes on display on our evening.’
- ‘We finished with some Black Forest cake, which is made by Pet herself, as is the German bread that was served with the goulash.’
- ‘When I ordered the Black Forest gateau, the waiter had to tell me that it was ‘very, very’ sweet, in case it was too extreme for my taste.’
- ‘The birthday table next to us ordered just one candle-decorated slice of Black Forest gateau to share amongst everyone, it seemed.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.