One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A chocolate sponge cake with layers of morello cherries or cherry jam and whipped cream and topped with chocolate icing.
- ‘When I ordered the Black Forest gateau, the waiter had to tell me that it was ‘very, very’ sweet, in case it was too extreme for my taste.’
- ‘We finished with some Black Forest cake, which is made by Pet herself, as is the German bread that was served with the goulash.’
- ‘Alicia ordered a pot of tea and a slice of Black Forest cake.’
- ‘The birthday table next to us ordered just one candle-decorated slice of Black Forest gateau to share amongst everyone, it seemed.’
- ‘A refrigerated cabinet in one corner holds desserts, with items like Black Forest cakes on display on our evening.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.