One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A very brief two-piece swimsuit for women.
- ‘It may be winter outside, but Marks & Spencer is hotting up with fantastic bikinis, swimsuits, tankinis and dresses to flatter all.’
- ‘Blending imaginative colour and functional elements, new bathing costumes and bikinis are spectacular eye-catchers.’
- ‘A girl in ripped up jean shorts and a bikini top came barreling out of the house and down the steps toward us.’
- ‘I abandoned my shirt for my floral bikini top and my little white tennis shoes for sandals.’
- ‘Some of the great sparkling looks came in tiny swimsuits or two-piece bikinis studded with silver nail heads including crocheted white suits.’
- ‘She had long blonde hair tied up in a high pony tail, with jeans on and a gold bikini top.’
- ‘After a swim, put on the wrap skirt over your bikini or swim suit, and go for a drink.’
- ‘Many traditional Samoan villages ban beach wear such as bikinis and swimming suits.’
- ‘Walking hand in hand, we passed several other people on roller skates, in bikinis and swimming trunks, with shopping bags in their hands and all.’
- ‘For example, in Japan fifty years ago it was considered vulgar to swim in a swimming suit but now bikinis are the norm.’
- ‘Both were dressed in mini skirts and tank tops with their bikini straps clearly visible.’
- ‘I was wearing a plain black bikini top, with jean shorts over the bikini bottoms.’
- ‘The look is long and lean; a mix of retro and ultra modern with crocheted bikinis, hole-infested frocks and horizontal striped tube knit dresses.’
- ‘The bikini bottom had strings that tied together at the sides to keep it on, and the bikini top was halter style.’
- ‘I take two or more bikinis / swimming costumes when I go on holiday as its nice to change into a dry suit rather than sit around in a wet one and get all sandy.’
- ‘Its residents long for the freedoms they relinquished so many decades ago, and to join in the liberty and freedom of spirit represented by bikinis and Speedo swim-suits.’
- ‘Julia pulled out a pink bikini top and a mini skirt with a tropical design.’
- ‘All she could see though, was a fairly pretty girl wearing a tight mini-skirt and a white bikini top.’
- ‘More fluid designs and flowers bloomed all over the catwalks, on everything from chiffon dresses and silk wraps to shirts, bikinis and kaftans.’
- ‘A lot of hardy Scots braved what were chilly conditions and sported swimming costumes and even bikinis.’
- 1.1 Scanty underpants.
- ‘As well as winning the bra, she was photographed wearing both it and a pair of Kylie-esque bikini pants in a national newspaper.’
- ‘Wear these Women's Panties, with their low-rise bikini design.’
- ‘Try layering a swim short over a one-piece or opt for low, hipster bikini bottoms.’
- ‘Bikinis are a super comfortable medium coverage silhouette that wont show thru under heavier fabrics like denim or wool.’
- ‘A luxurious deep embroidery accents this string bikini adding a sultry feminine hue with dark contrast stitching in a botanical print throughout.’
1940s: named after Bikini, where an atom bomb was exploded in 1946 (because of the supposed ‘explosive’ effect created by the garment).
An atoll in the Marshall Islands, in the western Pacific Ocean, used by the US 1946–58 as a site for testing nuclear weapons.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.