Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A very brief two-piece swimsuit for women.
- ‘Walking hand in hand, we passed several other people on roller skates, in bikinis and swimming trunks, with shopping bags in their hands and all.’
- ‘A girl in ripped up jean shorts and a bikini top came barreling out of the house and down the steps toward us.’
- ‘Its residents long for the freedoms they relinquished so many decades ago, and to join in the liberty and freedom of spirit represented by bikinis and Speedo swim-suits.’
- ‘All she could see though, was a fairly pretty girl wearing a tight mini-skirt and a white bikini top.’
- ‘I abandoned my shirt for my floral bikini top and my little white tennis shoes for sandals.’
- ‘Julia pulled out a pink bikini top and a mini skirt with a tropical design.’
- ‘After a swim, put on the wrap skirt over your bikini or swim suit, and go for a drink.’
- ‘I was wearing a plain black bikini top, with jean shorts over the bikini bottoms.’
- ‘The bikini bottom had strings that tied together at the sides to keep it on, and the bikini top was halter style.’
- ‘More fluid designs and flowers bloomed all over the catwalks, on everything from chiffon dresses and silk wraps to shirts, bikinis and kaftans.’
- ‘She had long blonde hair tied up in a high pony tail, with jeans on and a gold bikini top.’
- ‘A lot of hardy Scots braved what were chilly conditions and sported swimming costumes and even bikinis.’
- ‘The look is long and lean; a mix of retro and ultra modern with crocheted bikinis, hole-infested frocks and horizontal striped tube knit dresses.’
- ‘Both were dressed in mini skirts and tank tops with their bikini straps clearly visible.’
- ‘Many traditional Samoan villages ban beach wear such as bikinis and swimming suits.’
- ‘It may be winter outside, but Marks & Spencer is hotting up with fantastic bikinis, swimsuits, tankinis and dresses to flatter all.’
- ‘For example, in Japan fifty years ago it was considered vulgar to swim in a swimming suit but now bikinis are the norm.’
- ‘Blending imaginative colour and functional elements, new bathing costumes and bikinis are spectacular eye-catchers.’
- ‘I take two or more bikinis / swimming costumes when I go on holiday as its nice to change into a dry suit rather than sit around in a wet one and get all sandy.’
- ‘Some of the great sparkling looks came in tiny swimsuits or two-piece bikinis studded with silver nail heads including crocheted white suits.’
- 1.1 Scanty underpants.
- ‘As well as winning the bra, she was photographed wearing both it and a pair of Kylie-esque bikini pants in a national newspaper.’
- ‘A luxurious deep embroidery accents this string bikini adding a sultry feminine hue with dark contrast stitching in a botanical print throughout.’
- ‘Bikinis are a super comfortable medium coverage silhouette that wont show thru under heavier fabrics like denim or wool.’
- ‘Try layering a swim short over a one-piece or opt for low, hipster bikini bottoms.’
- ‘Wear these Women's Panties, with their low-rise bikini design.’
1940s: named after Bikini, where an atom bomb was exploded in 1946 (because of the supposed ‘explosive’ effect created by the garment).
An atoll in the Marshall Islands, in the western Pacific Ocean, used by the US 1946–58 as a site for testing nuclear weapons.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.