One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A holy place.
- ‘Daughters, you have the opportunity to earn snowflakes for proficiency, and to help bethels who need your assistance.’
- ‘Without Iraq, he would right now be growing a beard in Crawford happily forgotten, and the evangelicals would be packing up their pitchforks and bemoaning their fates in their little bethels in the mid-west.’
- ‘What you criticize about the Moslems, sir, is no different than what happens in thousands of little bethels across the USA, as the fundamentalist start feeling their oats, what with their grand mufti in the White House.’
- ‘Want contact information for the Bethel nearest to you?’
- ‘We're trying to start new Bethels.’
2A chapel for seamen.
- ‘Rev. Mr. Lloyd, a couple of years ago, fitted up a hulk as a Bethel for seamen, and held two services in it, when a gale sent the hulk to the bottom of the sea, and seven persons living aboard of it were drowned.’
- ‘The Seamen's Bethel is a chapel in New Bedford, Massachusetts, located at 15 Johnny Cake Hill.’
- ‘He became a missionary in charge of the new Seamen's Bethel, which opened on North Square in 1833.’
- ‘The Seamens Home Bethel is in the Heart of Copenhagen by Nyhavns canal, and only 5min walk from Kongens Nytorv og Strøget (the pedestrian street).’
- ‘The Baptists, Episcopalians, Methodists, and Presbyterians have each a seamen's Bethel,’
3British A Nonconformist chapel.
- ‘One cannot but fear that Sir Edmund Beckett, who can hardly bring himself to speak of a Nonconformist minister otherwise than as "Stiggins," or of a Nonconformist chapel otherwise than as "little Bethel," is a type of many laymen, who pique themselves on being particularly sound Churchmen, and who, in their open-handed liberality, as regards money, in support of the Church, are worthy of all honor.’
- ‘The nonconformist Bethel and Seion chapels had originally entered into association with the Welsh Presbyterian Union of the United States, but they joined the United Church of Canada in 1933 and after 1936 Welsh services ceased.’
- ‘Grand Bethel members are Job's Daughters from Indiana bethels, all whom have served or have been elected to serve as Honored Queen of their Bethel.’
- ‘It is my understanding that the reason is that the bethels cannot meet in the lodges until there is a child protection policy in place for the organization.’
- ‘And his church, was it one of two grand old edifices which still adorn the adjoining parishes of New and Old Shoreham, or merely a nonconformist 'Little Bethel'?’
A town in the Catskill Mountains, in southeastern New York; population 4,543 (est. 2008). It is the actual site of the 1969 Woodstock music festival.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.