One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A car or motorcycle manufactured by the company BMW.
- ‘Just then he pulled over, killing the engine of his Beemer.’
- ‘He probably didn't even need the extra cash - everyone knew his family could not be that bad off if he drove a Beemer to school.’
- ‘When he asks why, his colleague explains that he got sick of the police stopping him in his Beemer.’
- ‘I'm sure a number of you would be interested in the new Beemer 3 series.’
- ‘Sked ran inside to find the final intruder firing at a silver Beemer, causing its windshield to shatter and its alarm to sound.’
- ‘This scene features a lovely young woman cruising along in her white Beemer on a mountain road.’
- ‘The trouble is that it's not as good as the Beemer.’
- ‘When asked what kind of car he wants when he gets his license he quickly responded, ‘For learning, I will get a Beemer.’’
- ‘My Beemer has an almost ridiculous amount of power, yet equally powerful brakes and such precise steering I feel safer driving it than our minivan.’
- ‘A normal looking black car was parked by mine, looking out of place in the sea of Beemers.’
- ‘I open them, the 4WD Beemer is centimetres from my front bumper and revving very loudly.’
- ‘As I sink down into in the back seat of the Beemer, I contemplate Alex Fedorov, here in his native surroundings, one last time.’
- ‘Electrically adjustable like almost every car these days, but with the Beemer when you select reverse gear the passenger mirror dips down so that you can see where your wheels are, relative to the kerb.’
- ‘In the Beemer you have a thick steering wheel, a short-throw gearchange, and an antilock braking system that cuts in when you're in real trouble and not because it can't be bothered to work out when that moment might be.’
- ‘Then, he turned his Beemer to the left, squeezing it between other cars that were stuck in the accident as well.’
- ‘‘You don't want them to see you driving around in a Beemer but the showers aren't working at the club,’ Wagner says.’
- ‘But then, walking past an office block with row upon row of sparkly new Beamers parked outside makes me feel the same.’
- ‘I have always been impressed with the new Beemers, and after a week it was very difficult to give it back.’
- ‘The quickest is the Beemer at 134 mph with the other three only about 15 km slower.’
- ‘Four full seats and enough luggage space to carry the biggest golf-bag in the pro-shop with ease - the Beemer is plenty practical for a coupe.’
1980s (originally US): representing a pronunciation of the first two letters of BMW (Bayerische Motoren Werke AG) + -er.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.