1A member of a Muslim people living in the southern Urals.
- ‘He attracted a following of peasants, Old Believers, Ural mineworkers, and non-Russians such as Bashkirs and Kalmyks.’
- ‘Today, Islam is the second largest religion, after Russian Orthodoxy, with at least 19 million practitioners, and among ethnic minorities most Tatars, Bashkirs, Kazakhs, Chechens, and Avars, are Sunni Muslim.’
- ‘Initially, Bashkirs sought to realize their aspirations by turning to the Whites, but it was not long before reform-minded Muslims and political radicals turned to the communists.’
- ‘These diverse groups lie scattered from the Caucasus and Ural mountains to eastern Siberia, and include the Tatars, Chuvash, Bashkirs, Sakha, Tuvans, Karachai, Khakass, Altays, and others.’
- ‘While Felix Cheremnykh is an ethnic Russian, Renat Udarov and Marat Mimlikeev seem to be ethnic Tatars or Bashkirs.’
2The Turkic language of the Bashkirs.
- ‘Bashkir is spoken principally in the Russian Republic of Bashkortostan.’
- ‘Bashkir (also referred to as Basquort/Bashkort) is spoken primarily in the republic of Bashkortostan between the Volga River and the Ural mountains in Russia.’
- ‘A Turkic language, Bashkir is spoken by one in four residents of Bashkortostan.’
Relating to the Bashkirs or their language.
- ‘Ufa, with its significant Bashkir population, was one of three ARA districts inhabited largely by Muslims.’
- ‘Ufa, the capital of the Bashkir republic, became the wartime seat of the Soviet Ukrainian government.’
- ‘The paper cited a source close to the Bashkir leadership as saying that Kremlin chief of staff Dmitry Medvedev had organized the Sistema deal.’
- ‘Moscow deliberately employed non-Russian troops to fight in Central Asia - Tatar, Bashkir, Kazakh, Uzbek and Turkmen detachments were pitted against the anti-Bolshevik invaders.’
- ‘A Rosneft spokesman did not deny the company was interested in the Bashkir assets, the paper said.’
Via Russian from Turkic Başkurt.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.