Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small, densely staining structure in the cell nuclei of female mammals, consisting of a condensed, inactive X chromosome. It is regarded as diagnostic of genetic femaleness.
- ‘If the Barr bodies of a normal female were missing, she would exhibit Turners Syndrome.’
- ‘In some tissues, the inactive X chromosome can be identified in the nucleus as a Barr body and X inactivation provides an important model for the inheritance of gene expression.’
- ‘We now know that the ‘darkly staining’ Barr body is the condensed, inactive X chromosome.’
- ‘The formation of Barr bodies is the strategy that humans use for what is called dosage compensation.’
- ‘If the child is genetically female then a Barr body should be evident in approximately 10-20 percent of the cells.’
Barr body/ˈbär ˌbädē/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.