Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The sacred writings of Zoroastrianism, compiled in the 4th century AD.
- ‘Hinduism developed from the Vedic tradition in India and Zoroastrianism out of the early Aryan religion and mythology expressed eventually in the Avesta in Iran.’
- ‘Similarly, rice is not known to the Rigveda and the Avesta, while it is present in several Harappan sites within and outside the Indus valley.’
- ‘The Vedas are the divinely revealed and most revered scriptures, sruti, of Hinduism, likened to the Torah, Bible New Testament, Koran or Zend Avesta.’
- ‘During the reign of the Medes, the Iranians adopted the Babylon Cuneiform symbols and later they created the Avesta and Pahlavi scripts using Arami scripts.’
- ‘The Ossetians of today, descendants of ancient Northern Iranians, predominantly resemble northern Iranians and Europeans and speak an archaic Iranian language (like the Avesta of the Zoroastrians).’
- ‘In the Zoroastrian Avesta, a mountain called Hara stands at the center of the world.’
- ‘In the Avesta (Zoroastrian scriptures), this yasna is placed between the first and the second Gatha in order to give it prominence and credibility.’
- ‘A few hundred feet away is another temple - rectangular shaped without any carvings - once a fire temple and a resting place of the Avesta, the Zoroastrian Holy Scriptures.’
- ‘He considered the Koran, the Bible, the Zend Avesta, the Vedas and other religious texts as equally 'divinely inspired'.’
- ‘Zoroastrian Archives Yasna, Avesta, and other texts, some in multilingual translations.’
- ‘According to the Avesta, Ahura Mazda has no shape, form or colour and, is an invisible power from which emanates light and goodness.’
- ‘But the usage jars, since in their own cultures the Avesta, Vedas, and Tripitaka are conceived as oral, not written, texts.’
- ‘The Avesta tells us that the Fravashi is inherent in every animate and inanimate object of Nature and helps in its development.’
- ‘In the Avesta, Thraetaona slays the three-headed, three-mouthed, six-eyed dragon, Azi Dahaka.’
- ‘Jupiter was again inthe constellation Virgo as the Zend Avesta predicted, when thisoccurred on 25 th December in 2 BC.’
- ‘The major tenets of the faith were put forth in a book called the Avesta.’
- ‘There was a hymn to Mithra in the Zarathustrian holy work, the Avesta.’
- ‘Just as the Vedas' Mitra is related to Varua, so the Mithra of the Persian Avesta is related to Ahura Mazda.’
- ‘This is a treasure trove of Avesta, Pahlavi and Pazend manuscripts.’
- ‘The Zend Avesta prophesied that Messiah's Star would bein Virgo.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.