One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A process in which an electron in an outer shell of an atom makes a transition to a vacancy in an inner shell. The energy gained is transferred to an electron that escapes from the atom.
- ‘A brief history of the discovery of the Auger effect is given, which is followed by a short description of some of the fields in which this discovery has had a major impact.’
- ‘This is known as the Auger effect or autoionization since the ion has self-ionized after the photoionization event.’
- ‘The second is the Auger effect, by which the hole left by the excited core electron is filled by an outer electron.’
- ‘This process of resonant photon absorption accompanied by electron emission forms a resonant Auger effect or resonant Auger Raman scattering.’
- ‘First an electron is captured into a bound state and a bound electron is excited (inverse Auger effect).’
1930s: named after Pierre V. Auger (1899–1993), French physicist.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.