Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for gray seal
- ‘Grey Atlantic seals, with their dog-like faces, are much less cautious and are often seen close to boats and in harbours.’
- ‘It was all too brief, but I had had my first close encounter with the Atlantic seals of the Farne Islands.’
- ‘Various craft sail each day to Seal Island where you can observe the grey Atlantic seals at play or rest, and even see sunfish and dolphins on the way.’
- ‘The horseshoe-shaped bay is an idyllic spot to picnic, with, if you are lucky, live entertainment laid on in the bay by Atlantic seals and bottle-nosed dolphins.’
- ‘North Atlantic seals typically keep to themselves, but in winter you can see clusters of them gathered on the rocks at low tide.’
- ‘Real-time tracking maps of Atlantic seals, turtles, dolphins and more are available on this site, along with educational pages for students and resources for teachers.’
- ‘However, Atlantic seal health is not even being dealt with as an issue in Canada.’
- ‘They are home to an incredible number of breeding seabirds and the surrounding seas are home to dolphins, porpoises, Atlantic seals and even the occasional whale or orca.’
- ‘Meanwhile, fish stocks are collapsing and some Atlantic seals receive contraceptive injections at tax-payers' expense, while health services are cut back.’
- ‘On the cliffs large colonies of guillemots, razor bills and herring gulls make their nests whilst on the rocks below Atlantic seals take refuge.’
- ‘Wildlife abounds in the locality: red deer, Atlantic seals and golden eagles can be spotted.’
- ‘Take a 3-mile trip westward to Seal Island, where you can observe the grey Atlantic seals at play or rest.’
- ‘The fact is that these groups are actually making more from the annual Atlantic seal hunt than the sealers themselves.’
- ‘That's because when Iceland's hunters stopped culling seals, the population of North Atlantic seals increased, he says.’
- ‘Our seas are kept fairly mild because of the effects of the Gulf Stream and this is a cue for Atlantic seals to produce their appealing white and fluffy seal pups.’
- ‘Bottlenose dolphins and Atlantic seals are frequently seen and, in the autumn, baby seals can be spotted playing in Cwmtydu cove.’
- ‘It claims that North Atlantic seals are eating too much cod but without adequate scientific evidence to support this claim.’
- ‘Buzzards circle, ravens soar and kittiwakes nest in their hundreds above blue seas where Atlantic seals sport in secluded coves.’
- ‘From the beach, families can catch a glimpse of Atlantic seals and bottle-nosed dolphins that are often seen displaying their skills in the bay.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.