A diet high in protein and fat and low in carbohydrates, prescribed for weight loss.
- ‘Then there's the Atkins diet, which is one of many that advocates a higher protein, lower carbohydrate menu plan.’
- ‘For the first week of the study, the subjects followed their typical eating habits, after which they followed the Atkins diet for two weeks.’
- ‘Sales were especially weak in North America, where diet trends have changed due to the popularity of the Atkins diet.’
- ‘Does this mean that low-carb, high-protein diets like the Atkins diet are ideal for diabetics?’
- ‘The Atkins diet cuts out carbohydrates and boosts consumption of protein without having to avoid fatty foods.’
- ‘If you're on the Atkins diet or something similar, you ought to pay attention to this study.’
1970s: after its originator, cardiologist Dr. Robert C. Atkins (1930–2003) and his book Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution (1972).