One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An angel of high rank.
- ‘Michael and Gabriel were the names he advised, named for the two highest archangels in heaven.’
- ‘And I thought it ironic that I should pray for my twin, named after the archangel; we were so very opposite.’
- ‘The layered heavens, angels, archangels and demons, and continual recycling of souls are very similar to the Wheel of Karma and other similar cosmologies of Buddhist and Hindu belief.’
- ‘It is in this second connotation that the word is used for archangel Gabriel.’
- ‘Angels and archangels may have gathered there,’
- ‘The guardians and archangel didn't know what to make of her.’
- ‘This mighty archangel wielded a single broad sword that he kept in a golden sheath until such time as needed.’
- ‘At the same time Stanislavsky, uncomfortable with tragedy, tried to turn Hamlet into a mystery play, with Hamlet a Christ-like figure and Fortinbras an archangel.’
- ‘Michael is the only angel that is specifically called an archangel.’
- ‘These Divinities are highly advanced beings who have specific duties and powers - not unlike the heavenly spirits, overlords or archangels revered in other faiths.’
- ‘The functions of these three archangels correspond to three major thrusts of Jesus' ministry: announcing good news, healing the sick, and delivering the oppressed.’
- ‘The prayers of believers here on earth are mingled with the worship of angels and archangels and all the host of heaven, in adoration of God and the Lamb.’
- ‘Four archangels are named in Jewish and Christian tradition.’
- ‘This bought me stares from all of them… not entirely unexpected, but I was a little disappointed that it had taken me only one question to elicit such a response from all four of the archangels.’
- ‘The archangels carry the attributes of officiating clergy at the Mass of the Dead; Michael the cross, Gabriel the censer, and Raphael the book.’
- ‘The archangels were Michael, Raphael, Gabriel and Uriel.’
- ‘The voice came back and she recognized it to be archangel Michael's voice.’
- 1.1 In traditional Christian angelology, a being of the eighth order of the ninefold celestial hierarchy.
- ‘There are three types of beings: angels, archangels, and virtues fall into one category, and their nature is inherently good.’
- ‘From the highest to the lowest in rank, the orders are seraphim, cherubim, thrones, dominions, virtues, powers, principalities, archangels, and angels.’
- ‘Saint Michael belongs to the choir of angels called the Archangels, usually listed eighth of the nine choirs.’
Middle English, from Anglo-Norman French archangele, via ecclesiastical Latin from ecclesiastical Greek arkhangelos, from arkhi- ‘chief’ + angelos ‘messenger, angel’.
A port of northwestern Russia, on the White Sea; population 348,700 (est. 2008). It is named after the monastery of the Archangel Michael situated there.Russian name Arkhangelsk
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.