Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An order of tailless amphibians that comprises the frogs and toads.
- ‘Until recently, study of the motor control of amphibian feeding was limited to a few model taxa, for example the genera Bufo and Rana representing the Anura, and salamanders of the genus Ambystoma representing the Caudata.’
- ‘There are around 3,900 species of tailless amphibians, or Anura, also called Salientia, including the frog and toad.’
- ‘All toads are frogs, but true toads refers to a specific family in the order Anura.’
- ‘Of three possible histories, the only one that has not been seriously considered is an Anura (frogs and toads) - Gymnophiona sister relationship, with Caudata sister to that group.’
- ‘Frogs and toads make up the order Anura, which is part of the vertebrate class Amphibia.’
- 1.1Amphibians of the order "Anura"; frogs and toads.
- ‘The Anura have relatively short and broad bodies, and both pairs of limbs are constantly present, the hinder being the longer and stronger.’
- ‘The living Anura are typically divided into three suborders.’
- ‘The Anura are remarkable for the total absence of teeth in the mandibles in all but one or two genera.’
- ‘The toxic epidermis of some Anura when impacted into a bite wound via teeth & saliva can likely create these reactions.’
Modern Latin, from an- + Greek oura tail.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.