One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive Relating to the Roman emperors Antoninus Pius and Marcus Aurelius or their rules (AD 137–80).
- ‘But by the time Judah rose to be Patriarch of Judea, under the reign of the Antonine emperor Marcus Aurelius, relations with Rome had eased.’
- ‘Commodus was finally strangled in his bath by Narcissus, an athlete, thus bringing an end to the Antonine dynasty.’
- ‘The breakdown of the Antonine peace and the crises of the third century coincided with a widespread desire for a more personal religion that offered consolation and meaning in this world and a better life in the next.’
- ‘Dio records that the tribes ‘crossed the wall that separated them from the Roman garrison and killed a general’, and there are Late Antonine destruction deposits at Rudchester, and at Halton and Corbridge along the line of Dere Street.’
- ‘The Antonine emperors are easily identified through their adoption of the portrait style of Hadrian with curly hair and beards.’
plural nounthe Antonines
The Antonine emperors.
- ‘The February number contains a piece called ‘From the New Gibbon,’ a pastiche of Edward Gibbon's description of Rome at the time of the Antonines - at the height of its power but already showing symptoms of decline.’
- ‘In a worst-case scenario, historians will someday have to explain why the golden age of Western democracy, like the age of the Antonines, lasted only about two hundred years.’
- ‘Since the city of Autun was under Roman domination at this time, the costumes should be Roman from the time of the Antonines' reign.’
- ‘Just compare the description of the Roman Empire under the Antonines at the beginning of Gibbon, which was thought in its day to be good social history, with the description of England in 1685 which opens Macaulay's narrative.’
- ‘The portraits of Septimius emphasized continuity with the Antonines, yet a new element appears in the corkscrew beard modelled after the god Serapis.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.