One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic compound used in the treatment of alcoholics to make drinking alcohol produce unpleasant aftereffects.Also called disulfiram
- ‘He can see a day when he will no longer need the Antabuse, but the Camproal is here to say.’
- ‘Even now, only some 140,000 alcoholics in the U.S. receive medication for their disease, ranging from Antabuse to anti-depressants to anti-seizure drugs.’
- ‘Do not consider taking the drug Antabuse without direct medical supervision, as it can be lethal.’
- ‘I kept writing it anyway, like an alcoholic drinking his way through the Antabuse.’
- ‘While it is known that Antabuse produces an aversion to alcohol, this study could herald an important breakthrough in treating cocaine addiction.’
1940s: from anti- + abuse.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.