Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A North American hummingbird that lives chiefly in California. The male has an iridescent rose-red head and throat.
- ‘Along the Pacific Coast, the large Anna's hummingbird may be found, as well as Allen's, black-chinned, broad-tailed, calliope, Costa's, and rufous hummingbirds.’
- ‘Anna's Hummingbirds (Calypte anna) are probably the most common species of hummingbird found at our Tucson hummingbird feeders during the winter.’
- ‘Male Anna's hummingbirds raised in isolation produce much simpler songs than do wild males.’
- ‘The Anna's Hummingbird is a medium-sized hummingbird with a relatively short, straight bill and a long sloping forehead.’
- ‘You can also see more widely ranging North American hummingbird species such as the black-chinned, broad-tailed, rufous, calliope, Costa's, Allen's, and Anna's hummingbirds in this region.’
- ‘The Anna's Hummingbird feeds on a large variety of flowers as well as insects and spiders.’
Mid 19th century: named after Anna, the wife of Prince François Massena ( c. 1795–1863), Duc de Ravoli, who obtained the original specimen.
Anna's hummingbird/ˌanəz ˈhəmiNGbərd/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.