Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A member of seminomadic people living in Mesopotamia, Palestine, and Syria in the 3rd millennium BC, founders of Mari on the Euphrates and the first dynasty of Babylon.
- ‘Had word got out that this is what they intended to do, the Egyptians could easily have concealed their valuables deep in the walls of their homes, as the Amorites were to do in Canaan many years later.’
- ‘We are to leave the remainder of our sinful, self-centred nature under the guard of the blood of Christ, just as Joshua left the five kings of the Amorites under guard in the Cave of Makkedah.’
- ‘And the Torah warns that should Israel violate the rules incumbent upon those who would dwell in that land, it will be thrown out, just as the Amorites were.’
- ‘As the scripture warns, ‘the sin of the Amorites have reached their full.’’
- ‘I mean, it's from the Amorites and from the Arcadians ever earlier that we have the Semitic language coming in, which is the basis for Phoenician, for Aramaic, for Hebrew and for the Arabic languages.’
- ‘It should also be noted that the Amorites were sun and moon worshippers.’
- ‘Its history began around 2000 B.C., when Semitic Amorites settled around the Jordan River in the area called Canaan.’
- ‘And I say unto you, ye are come unto the mountain of Amorites, which the Lord our God doth give unto us.’
- ‘Then spake Joshua to The Lord in the day when The Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon.’
- ‘This new empire lasted until roughly 2000 when pressure from the Elamites and Amorites reached its culmination with the capture and devastation of Ur.’
- ‘The people who took over the Amorites were the Hittites.’
- ‘Indeed, the kings of Ur embarked on a massive military project, building a wall from the Tigris to the Euphrates designed to keep the Amorites, pastoralists who lived to the west of Sumaria, at bay.’
- ‘After the Bronze Age, Amorites, Western Semites, Hyksos and Hittites successively invaded the area.’
- ‘God intervenes in history on behalf of God's people - delivering them from bondage in Egypt, protecting them in the wilderness, kicking out the Amorites from the Promised Land to make room for them.’
- ‘And they returned, and came to Enmishpat, which is Kadesh, and smote all the country of the Amalekites, and also the Amorites, that dwelt in Hazezontamar.’
- ‘Possible precedents for his character include the semi-nomadic Amorites, but more likely are versions of primitive or primordial man, all of who share in common a lack of the basic traits of human civilization.’
Relating to the Amorites.
- ‘The occasion of the long day was during a battle between the combined armies of the five Amorite kings and the army of Israel, early in the campaign.’
- ‘A full cite should be given from verses 13-15: ‘They set out from there and camped alongside the Arnon, which is in the desert extending into Amorite territory.’’
- ‘The Code of Laws of Hammurabi, Amorite king of Babylon, indicates that there were laws safeguarding arrangements between parents and employed wet nurses - probably one of the earliest examples of employment legislation.’
- ‘Tradition records that Mamre was named for a member of the Amorite people (one of the seven Canaanite nations) who befriended Abraham when the locals were more warmly disposed toward Jews.’
- ‘Hamurabi of Babylon was the sixth king in an Amorite dynasty.’
- ‘An Amorite dynasty is founded at Larsa.’
- ‘No one has yet been able to identify an Amorite pot or weapon with certainty.’
From Hebrew 'ĕmōrī, from Akkadian 'amurrū + -ite.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.