A system of body awareness designed to promote well-being by ensuring minimum effort in maintaining postures and carrying out movements.
- ‘Acupuncture and the Alexander technique may help relieve discomfort.’
- ‘A Kingston school which teaches pupils the Alexander technique, a method of improving posture, has launched a book which is used to teach the subject to pupils.’
- ‘For example, acupuncture, the Alexander technique, reflexology, yoga and massage, and aromatherapy may be helpful.’
- ‘Some people find that the symptoms of a hiatus hernia can be improved by better postural balance which may be achieved with the Alexander technique.’
- ‘The Alexander technique (which improves the posture) and yoga (which improves strength and flexibility of muscles) are obvious examples.’
1930s: named after Frederick Matthias Alexander (1869–1955), Australian-born actor and physical therapist who developed it.