One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Muslim countries, especially under the Ottoman Empire) a military commander or official.
- ‘There were rumours that she had been outraged and murdered by a Turkish aga.’
- ‘Wealthy Turkish Agas and Beys lived in the town as well.’
- ‘The aga was also charged of controlling all the goods and passengers to embark since they needed the beys permission’
- ‘Ida and her family also have to abandon the country after the Turkish aga decided to marry her and to make her part of his harem.’
- ‘Many of the exiled agas eventually found their ways back from Syria and took up their feudal roles, but they did not reclaim this village.’
Mid 16th century: from Turkish ağa ‘master, lord’, from Mongolian aqa.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.