One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An animal of a South African breed of sheep or longhorn cattle.
- ‘The breeds selected to form the genetic pool were Hereford, Angus, Afrikander and Santa Gertirudis.’
- ‘The low maintenance Africander is heat-tolerant and well adapted to withstand harsh conditions.’
- ‘The Africander is South Africa's most popular native breed, comprising 30% of the cattle population.’
- ‘Tick-resistance of the Africander is lower than that of the Brahman but superior to that of the European and British breeds of cattle and is quite adequate for most areas of northern Australia.’
- ‘In both crossbred populations, horned bulls bred to horned cows produced polled calves; in fact, 23% of heifer calves from such matings in the Africander crossbred population were polled.’
Early 19th century (an early form of Afrikaner, having the same senses): via Afrikaans from South African Dutch.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.