One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Make African in character.‘in his attempt to Africanize his novel, he deconstructs the French language’
- ‘There is no need to Africanise our indigenous music to support some obscure theory of ‘African cultural retentions.’’
- ‘A lot of African countries have become banana republics because they tend to be emotional, to Africanize just for the sake of it.’
- ‘This was a cultural campaign to Africanise French names.’
- ‘It was just a harbinger of things to comea universe of Africanized music in which rhythmic development through altered repetition would replace melodic, harmonic, and even lyrical variation as the primary element in moving a song from beginning to middle to end.’
- ‘Kevin is a composer who, if anything, has tried to Africanize Western music.’
- ‘Their Latin-based sets may have derived from Cuba but their novel move was to Africanize the music.’
- ‘By Africanizing or ritualizing common western objects, he constructs bridges to other times and cultures.’
- ‘"Africanized" music is a formal challenge to traditional Western narratives of progress.’
- ‘But the campaign to Africanize cyberspace is not all about the bottom line.’
- ‘This was a small beginning, but it was at least a start upon which others could build later in Africanizing the Service.’
- 1.1 (in Africa) restructure (an organization) by replacing white employees with black Africans.
- ‘An effort to Africanize the civil service and security forces as rapidly as possible complemented his drive for personal power.’
- ‘If the local populace links the company with efforts to Africanize its staff, they will be much more cooperative than if they viewed the newcomer as an exploiter of local labour.’
- ‘The aim is to 'Africanize' forest management by training local specialists to take over from their expatriate counterparts.’
- ‘Of greater importance was Britain's decision to Africanize the police.’
- ‘In South Africa, a university president has drained the brains from Ghanain and Nigerian universities in order to Africanize his staff.’
2Hybridize (honeybees of European stock) with bees of African stock, producing an aggressive strain. In recent years hybrids have spread from Brazil to the US, where they have become known colloquially as “killer bees.”.
- ‘Though a bloom lasts only about a day, each unbagged flower was visited on average by about 40 Africanized honeybees.’
- ‘The ‘killer bee, ‘or Africanized honeybee, earned this fearsome nickname because of its aggressive, though not necessarily lethal nature.’’
- ‘Since then Africanized honeybees have spread over South and Central America and into the United States.’
- ‘In all cases, we used samples of newly emerged adult workers to determine whether each colony was of European or Africanized descent.’
- ‘In the United States, it has been speculated, but not shown, that Africanized honeybees would hybridize extensively with European honeybees.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.