Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Books, artifacts, and other collectors' items connected with Africa, in particular southern Africa.
- ‘The museum currently exhibits no Africana save these Amistad-related materials.’
- ‘The class is part of the Africana studies curriculum, and he is thankful for such departments.’
- ‘The director of the Africana studies department at the University, he has been active in developing online resources in Black studies.’
- ‘Collecting Africana is unlike collecting most other materials because of the lack of well-known high-profile vendors.’
- ‘The spacious, comfortable lounge, with fireplace and open-plan kitchen is furnished with Zimbabwean teak and lovingly collected Africana’
- ‘Also reflected in the correspondence is his interest in collecting Africana and antiquarian books, and in big game hunting.’
- ‘I imagined him to be a tweedy 40-year-old, steeped in Africana lore and smelling of cigar smoke.’
- ‘We invite papers that address identity, language, and memory in Africa and the African diaspora in philosophy, religious/theological studies, and Africana philosophy.’
- ‘He subsequently worked in the country for 12 years until 1968, during which period he collected 'Africana' relating to Swaziland and the surrounding countries.’
- ‘As a consequence, vast intellectual, humanitarian, economic and political resources will likely be brought to bear in service to the peoples of Africa, and we will need well-trained scholars in Africana studies to play a role.’
- ‘She keeps smiling at me all the way through the dad's explanations about the bookshop, and how he collects Africana.’
- ‘In honour of its 30th anniversary, the Society will hold an Africana Congress this weekend.’
- ‘While the study of Africa is pursued today at many institutions, only a relatively few have made major commitments to collecting Africana in depth.’
- ‘The courses in the Africana studies department offer a global perspective, are rigorous, and demand high levels of performance by students, including critical thinking, research and extensive reading and writing.’
- ‘He began collecting Africana and conducting research into the history and life of the Voortrekker period.’
- ‘Consequently, while Africana drama can be found on stage, it easily makes a home in earth, human beings, vinyl, paper, and concrete - the stylings of soulforce know no bounds.’
- ‘He is a wisdom-keeper devoted to revealing the multi-dimensionality of Africana drama.’
- ‘Two-thirds of the shop's books are Africana, plus modern first editions, and children's and illustrated books.’
- ‘That the Africana missive exists seems to me to represent evidence.’
- ‘As Ive always been fascinated by books and the history of my country, it was natural for me to drift into collecting Africana books and pictures.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.