One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
At or to a distance.‘for months he had loved her from afar’‘our hero traveled afar’
far away, far off, afarView synonyms
- ‘Those who had travelled from afar were allowed to carry home their treasures.’
- ‘There are flags flying - the Palace has a big standard visible from afar.’
- ‘I'd intended to be mature and sedate and demure and just wistfully watch the young guests from afar.’
- ‘We drove fast, in case they thought to pull out their six-guns and drill us from afar.’
- ‘This year's cabaret is a bitter-sweet affair, revolving around songs of romance on the run and love from afar.’
Middle English of feor ‘from far’.
1A member of a people living in Djibouti, Eritrea, and Ethiopia.
- ‘There are two major ethnic groups in Djibouti, the Afars (sometimes also called the Danakil) and the Somalis.’
- ‘When I asked the Afar about this they denied they ever did such things - they said it was done in Somalia.’
- ‘Moreover, beginning in 1991, tensions between Afars and the Issa-dominated government resulted in an Afar rebellion.’
- ‘The Afars are mostly nomadic pastoralists whose grazing area extends from eastern and southern Eritrea into Ethiopia.’
- ‘The Afar also suffer from kidney stones, a consequence of not drinking enough water.’
2The Cushitic language of the Afar.
- ‘Most Afar-speaking people are found in Ethiopia.’
- ‘The subspecies name idaltu comes from the Afar language of Ethiopia.’
- ‘Ardipithecus means ‘root ape’ in the Afar language.’
- ‘The six islands are named in Arabic, in the local Afar language, and in French.’
- ‘There are television and radio broadcasts in the French, Afar, Somali, and Arabic languages.’
Relating to the Afar or their language.
- ‘Today, the region is the home of the semi-nomadic Afar people.’
- ‘Bribing his way by caravan over the wastelands of the Afar province, he is not amused by the locals.’
- ‘Ethiopian officials warned yesterday of an impending tragedy in the drought-stricken Afar region.’
- ‘There are one or two hotels in town, and you can see several traditional Afar huts around town.’
- ‘The chamber of deputies consisted of 33 Issa representatives, and 32 Deputies of the Afar people.’
From Afar qafar.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.