One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An outdoor wooden armchair constructed of wide slats. The seat typically slants downward toward the sloping back.
- ‘ReadyMade's first three issues dished out instructions for all sorts of kitschy crafts and odd projects: homemade wallets, Adirondack chairs, even taxidermy.’
- ‘The town of Treasure Beach extends into the hotel, and town characters frequently do, gravitating around the bar, which also looks towards the sunset from Adirondack chairs.’
- ‘A camp that tends to cater toward high-achieving children included a unique photo in its brochure - a boy reading Homer's Odyssey in the comfort of an Adirondack chair.’
- ‘Donna comes outside and sits next to me in the Adirondack chair I built for her the year I retired.’
- ‘Last week, I spent two afternoons reading in an Adirondack chair under an old maple on the edge of a lawn, gazing up every now and then at the rolling farmland of the Hudson River Valley.’
- ‘Today, Saturday, his triumph had been walking the 20 yards to the Adirondack chairs in the backyard.’
- ‘There's even room for two Adirondack chairs on the small deck at the front door.’
- ‘Paint a couple of wooden Adirondack chairs a pretty color, like French blue, bring them indoors, then add cushions covered with striped or floral fabric.’
- ‘The furthest I've ever stuck my neck out has been to advocate the use of Adirondack chairs, front porches and outdoor showers.’
- ‘No room for Adirondack chairs or playing children, let alone that great, romantic porch swing.’
- ‘Sink into an Adirondack chair on your private deck overlooking the snow-capped peaks of Oregon's Cascades or cuddle up beside the flickering gas-fired stone hearth.’
- ‘In February, bundle up and ease into an Adirondack chair among daffodils in the redesigned garden.’
- ‘In a garden where green predominates, the boldest dash of color comes from blue-painted Adirondack chairs and a matching blue bench.’
- ‘Nothing is better suited to this place than sitting in the fan backed Adirondack chairs and gazing into the angled, golden light of the late afternoon and sunset.’
- ‘Have a glass of Washington wine by the massive river-rock fireplace, or stake out an Adirondack chair by the inn's lake while you wait for your table.’
- ‘On nice days, you can enjoy food and drink while kicking back in an Adirondack chair on the lawn.’
- ‘Nikki grabbed the old worn Adidas jacket she had had for five years, and went out onto the patio, choosing one of the Adirondack chairs and sat down, her eyes closed.’
- ‘If there isn't a wedding going on, you can pay admission to tour the house and grounds, but I pay my $4.50 just to sit in an Adirondack chair and read the newspaper and look at the river.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.