Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The projection at the front of the neck formed by the thyroid cartilage of the larynx, often prominent in men.
- ‘It is assumed that the fruit was an apple and a piece of this fruit got stuck in Adam's throat, hence the name Adam's apple for the larynx.’
- ‘To make sure you're not confusing the thyroid gland with your Adam's apple, repeat the test.’
- ‘He was standing beside someone's boyfriend, a tall youth with straw-colored hair and a big Adam's apple, this paunchy little old man who tucked his arm into mine and walked away with me.’
- ‘He had receding grey hair and a large surgical scar, stretching from his Adam's apple to his right ear.’
- ‘Her gaze traveled along the curve of his neck, over his Adam's apple to his jaw line, as he tilted his head back to drain the rest of the bottle.’
- ‘The ageing skin and the skin folds of the neck - especially below the Adam's apple - cannot be elevated by means of a facelift.’
- ‘The androgens also promote the secondary sex characteristics of muscle growth, lowered voice range, the Adam's apple, and increased body hair.’
- ‘The thyroid gland is located under the Adam's apple in the front part of the neck.’
- ‘The bulge in the neck known as the Adam's apple is the front of this cartilage.’
- ‘His friend - of slight build with a prominent Adam's apple and also wearing a dark tracksuit - acted surprised.’
- ‘It turns out that, according to NASA, that when we talk to ourselves or mouth words, the brain sends a signal to the Adam's apple and other vocal muscles to begin enunciating the words.’
- ‘Your thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland located at the base of your neck, just below your Adam's apple.’
- ‘The victims have also described a scar on the side of the man's nose, near his eye and possibly a tattoo or mark on his neck near to his Adam's apple.’
- ‘The voice box grows in size and the vocal cords lengthen, causing the voice to deepen and the Adam's apple to become more obvious.’
- ‘I look down, and my stomach hits the back of my throat before deciding to settle around my Adam's apple.’
- ‘The intense pallor of his complexion, tightly cropped ginger hair, and prominent Adam's apple, only emphasised his lack of stature.’
- ‘The man placed a strong hand on the Adam's apple on his throat.’
- ‘I agree in general terms that the force applied to the neck was sufficient to leave bruises but not sufficient to damage his Adam's apple.’
- ‘This action pushes on the Adam's apple and compresses the windpipe which prevents air from moving down to the lungs.’
- ‘He still looked young with a tall thin posture, thin, short and straight black hair with a few dark grey hairs and a protruding Adam's apple.’
Adam's apple/ˈadəmz ˌapəl/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.