One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to Abkhazia, its people, or their language.
- ‘The apparent end of the Abkhaz election crisis should pave the way for resuming talks with Georgia on settling the territorial conflict.’
- ‘He claimed he would ‘do his utmost to peacefully settle the Abkhaz conflict.’’
- ‘Their peacekeepers actively aided the advance of Abkhaz troops.’
- ‘At the time of writing, neither the Abkhaz nor the Ossetian conflicts have been resolved.’
- ‘The Abkhaz coast appears, fringed with palms, oleanders and groves of eucalyptus trees planted long ago by the Russians to dry out the malarial marshes.’
- ‘There was little in Georgian or Abkhaz national mythology to explain the depth of hatred that arose during the conflict there.’
- ‘In the northwest, members of the Abkhaz ethnic group asserted their right to self-determination.’
- ‘They hope Russia will put pressure on the Abkhaz and South Ossetian leaderships to give up their quest for independence.’
- ‘It is true that the military channelled logistical support to Abkhaz separatists during the war.’
- ‘His death has sparked concerns among South Ossetian and Abkhaz leaders.’
- ‘Abkhaz and Ossetian leaders were immediately summoned to Moscow for consultations.’
- ‘The Abkhaz separatist dispute also continues to absorb much of the government's attention.’
1A member of a Caucasian people living in Abkhazia.
- ‘No one has been able to offer anything attractive enough to woo the South Ossetians and Abkhaz into a unified country.’
- ‘However, among the Abkhaz and Ossetians, tension and radical nationalism after the disintegration of the Soviet Union led to civil wars.’
- ‘He added, ‘No one asked Ossetians and the Abkhaz whether they want to stay in Georgia.’’
- ‘The texts have been taken from four of the ethnic groups who possess Nart sagas: the Adyges, the Abazas, the Abkhaz and the Ubykhs.’
- ‘In 1993 he and his men had helped the inexperienced Abkhaz to capture Abkhazia's capital.’
- ‘Georgian forces were driven out during fierce fighting that killed thousands of ethnic Abkhaz and Georgians.’
- ‘They were represented on the flag by green and white stripes: four greens for the Muslims (Circassians, Balkars, Chechens, Daghestan) and three whites for the Christians (the Abkhaz, Kabards, Ossetians).’
2A Northwest Caucasian language.
- ‘The Abkhaz texts were translated by George Hewitt from their original language.’
- ‘Most Abkhazians are ethnic Abkhazes and their first language is Abkhaz, though they speak Russian as well.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.