Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(of gold) pure.‘gold leaf made up of 24-carat gold mixed with platinum’
pure, 24-carat, unalloyed, unmixed, unadulterated, genuine, completeView synonyms
- ‘Above the doorways, cherubs cluster around rich pediments and everywhere there is the sparkle of freshly-applied 24-carat gilding.’
- ‘She started complaining about how heavy her 24-carat ring was and that her finger hurt.’
- ‘The company honored its distributors for their outstanding performance in the marketplace as well as for the roles they play in their communities, awarding 27 statuettes made of 24-carat gold.’
- ‘The gallery creates one-off pieces based around the 24-carat gold discs presented to artists in the music industry.’
- ‘The room would also need to be renovated as the flag would be placed in a box coated with 24-carat gold.’
- ‘The cribs are made from a combination of silver and brass with 24-carat gold plating, each with their own intricate design.’
- ‘His work mixes precious and non-precious elements, from plastics to sea pearls to 24-carat gold.’
- ‘Each soap is dusted with 24-carat gold, wrapped in silk and tied with a feather.’
- ‘A panorama of the Houses of Parliament is sculpted in silver and 24-carat gold, along with the lion and unicorn from the royal standard.’
- ‘Painstaking gilding with 24-carat gold follows.’
- 1.1Genuine; trustworthy.‘the 24-carat project manager was supplied by the company’‘the sources were 24-carat—not third-hand or second-hand’
- ‘He has developed from a gangling, awkward teenager to a genuine 24-carat world-class star.’
- ‘If you're lucky, you might get the chance once in your career to sit down and have a face-to-face chat with a true, 24-carat sporting legend.’
- ‘It has, for nearly 20 years, been a 24-carat democracy.’
- ‘The two ballads are 24-carat classics.’
- ‘While holding a guard hostage, he demanded an inflatable doll, a helicopter and a cup of tea as ransom, leading one staff member to describe him as "a 24-carat nutter".’
- ‘This is 24-carat naturalistic, understated acting of a kind one rarely sees.’
- ‘He was and always will be a 24-carat legend.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.