1Denoting a verbal action, an instance of this, or its result.‘fighting’‘outing’‘building’
- 1.1Denoting a verbal action relating to an occupation, skill, etc.‘banking’‘ice skating’‘welding’
- 1.1Denoting a verbal action relating to an occupation, skill, etc.
2Denoting material used for or associated with a process, etc.‘cladding’‘piping’
- 2.1Denoting something involved in an action or process but with no corresponding verb.‘scaffolding’
- 2.1Denoting something involved in an action or process but with no corresponding verb.
3Forming the gerund of verbs (such as painting as in I love painting)
Old English -ung, -ing, of Germanic origin.
1Forming the present participle of verbs.‘doing’‘calling’
- 1.1Forming present participles used as adjectives.‘charming’
- 1.1Forming present participles used as adjectives.
2Forming adjectives from nouns.‘hulking’
Middle English: alteration of earlier -ende, later -inde.
(used especially in names of coins and fractional parts) a thing belonging to or having the quality of.‘farthing’‘riding’
Old English, of Germanic origin.